Importing Mac contacts refined. More options, imports Excel files, too.
Importer for Contacts is a Mac app that imports tabular contact data from Excel files, CSV files and tab-delimited files into Apple's Contacts app. As a bonus, it can also save vCard files for the converted contacts rather than importing them. In contrast to the import function already built into Apple’s Contacts app, Importer for Contacts provides these advantages:
- Automatically remembers custom field mappings for future imports.
- Can import Excel files (.xlsx), including embedded pictures
- Accepts CSV files that Apple’s Contacts app refuses to open
- Supports line breaks in CSV and tab-delimited text file fields (street addresses, notes, etc.) if the file is properly formatted
- Lets you assign (and create) custom labels
- Can perform automatic group assignment and creation if that info is available in the source file
- Fields not supported by Contacts can be added to the "Note" field automatically.
- Comes with an interactive preview to make it easier to determine the character encoding of the import file -- helpful if you don't know which encoding was used or if you have no idea what a character encoding is.
Importer for Contacts never does overwrite or even delete existing contacts. Instead, old duplicates will be added to a group in Contacts, making it easy for you to remove them manually if the import worked right.
The app offers a flexible pricing model for both one-time and recurring usage. Unless unlocked with an In-App Purchase, Importer for Contacts allows the import of 10 records per file to give you a chance to check if the app does fit your needs. Choose one of the available In-App Purchases to remove this limitation.
Importer for Contacts is available as a free download in the Mac App Store.